KILZ® 1 STANDARD
Where To Buy
KILZ® 1 STANDARD Primer is designed for use on multiple interior surfaces helping save cost by reducing the number of coats of paint needed to achieve optimal results. It seals porous surfaces, hides minor scuffs and marks and promotes a more uniform appearance of the topcoat. It’s ready to brush, roll or spray and can be topcoated after one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
Use KILZ STANDARD Primer on almost all interior surfaces including wood, drywall, plaster, brick, masonry and more. Not recommended for flooring, glossy surfaces, mold and mildew prone surfaces or for stainblocking.
Available in Quarts, Gallons & Fives
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.*
- Glossy Surfaces: KILZ PREMIUM and KILZ 2® Primers are recommended for use over properly prepared glossy surfaces.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming. Note: KILZ PREMIUM, KILZ 2 and KILZ Kitchen & Bath Primers are recommended for mildew-prone surfaces.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ STANDARD Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ STANDARD Primer.
- Eye protection is recommended. For spray applications, a small amount of water (no more than ½ pint per gallon) may be added.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F (10°-32°C). Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .017-.021 tip / 60 mesh filter
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: Important - For stainblocking, use oil based primers such as KILZ ORIGINAL or water based primers such as KILZ PREMIUM.
- Tinting: KILZ STANDARD Primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft.(28-37 m2) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
Dry Time at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
Dries to the touch in 30 minutes.
Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
Low temperatures, high humidity or poor ventilation can significantly increase dry and paint application times.
Clean-Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water. If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to you, the original residential consumer purchaser, the performance of this product as described on this label for so long as you reside in your home. If this product is found to be defective upon inspection by its representative, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. This warranty is not transferable. This warranty excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. To the extent permitted by applicable law, any implied warranties including the implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose, are limited to the duration of this express warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Note to residents of the State of New Jersey: The provisions of this warranty, including its limitations, are intended to apply to the fullest extent permitted by the laws of the State of New Jersey. For warranty service, call: 1-866-774-6371, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION
HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS ETHYLENE GLYCOL. Avoid contact with eyes. May cause eye, nose and throat irritation. Avoid breathing of dust, vapors or spray mist. Open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator use. Close container after each use. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.
If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.
KEEP FROM FREEZING. If frozen, let thaw at room temperature.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
Coverage - Low
250 sq. ft.
400 sq. ft.
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
Dry To Touch
Dry To Recoat
Nylon / Poly
Roller - Smooth
3/8" - 1/2" nap
Roller - Porous
1/2" - 3/4" nap
.017" - .021"
1,800 - 3,000