Where To Buy
Interior | Exterior Primer
KILZ® ORIGINAL has been a trusted brand for over 40 years! This interior and exterior primer is specially formulated to be a sound undercoat for paint and will help enhance the topcoat’s performance. It has excellent adhesion to both interior and exterior surfaces including masonry, metal and excellent penetration for bare wood.
KILZ® ORIGINAL INTERIOR/EXTERIOR is a fast drying sealer that blocks most severe stains including tannin bleed, graffiti, smoke, fire and water stains as well as sealing pet, smoke and food odors. Use on interior and exterior surfaces including wood, drywall, plaster, brick, masonry, stucco, interior siding and paneling, metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Not recommended for floors.
Available in Gallons, Fives and Aerosol
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ ORIGINAL INTERIOR/EXTERIOR Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces that have cured (dried) at least 90 days. If masonry has cured less than 90 days, use KILZ PREMIUM or KILZ 2® Primers.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
- Eye protection is recommended. Do not thin. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Use product when painting surface and air temperatures are between 35°F (2°C) and 90°F (32°C).
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2” nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4” nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .015-.021 tip / 60 mesh filter
- Prime entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: Up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft. (28-37 m2) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
Dry Time @ 77°F (25°C) / 50% RH
- Touch in 30 minutes.
- Paint in 1 hour.
Clean-Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with mineral spirits or acetone. Immediately after use, dispose of soiled rags and waste in a closed, water-filled container.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to you, the original residential consumer purchaser, the performance of this product as described on this label for so long as you reside in your home. If this product is found to be defective upon inspection by its representative, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. This warranty is not transferable. This warranty excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. To the extent permitted by applicable law, any implied warranties including the implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose, are limited to the duration of this express warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Note to residents of the State of New Jersey: The provisions of this warranty, including its limitations, are intended to apply to the fullest extent permitted by the laws of the State of New Jersey. For warranty service, call: 1-866-774-6371, or email: email@example.com. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
VENTILATION REQUIRED: To avoid inhalation and combustion hazards (see below), DO NOT use this product unless you can achieve cross-ventilation by opening windows and doors during application and drying.
CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. VAPOR HARMFUL. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air, wear respiratory protection (NIOSH/MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) or leave the area. Follow respirator manufacturer’s directions for respirator use. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.
NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.
VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. Keep away from sparks, heat and open flame. Do not smoke. Vapors are heavier than air, and can travel at floor level to distant ignition sources. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors, high intensity lights and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. Close container after each use. To avoid spontaneous combustion, after use immediately dispose of soiled rags and waste in a closed, water-filled container.
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. If you have difficulty breathing, leave area to obtain fresh air. If difficulty continues, get medical attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
KEEP FROM FREEZING. If frozen, let thaw at room temperature.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY
Coverage - Low
300 sq. ft.
Mils Wet - Low VOC | Regular VOC
Mils Dry - Low VOC | Regular VOC
3.0 | 2.3
400 sq. ft.
Mils Wet - Low VOC | Regular VOC
Mils Dry - Low VOC | Regular VOC
2.3 | 1.7
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
80 - 90 KU
Dry To Touch - Low VOC | Regular VOC
60-90 min | 30 min
Dry To Recoat - Low VOC | Regular VOC
2 hour | 2-3 hours
Nylon / Polyester Blend
Roller - Smooth Surface
Roller - Porous Surface
.015 - .021 tip
2500 - 3000
56.5% (+/- 2%) for Low VOC version / 43.3% (+/-2%) for Regular VOC version
75% (+/-2%) for Low VOC version / 64.5% (+/- 2%) for Regular VOC version
74°F (23.3°C) for Low VOC version / 71°F (21.7°C) for Regular VOC version