New Look, Same Trusted Formula! KILZ® ORIGINAL Primer is a powerful stainblocking formula that blocks most heavy interior stains including water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, grease, and also seals pet, food and smoke odors. Trusted by pros for over 40 years, it has excellent sealing and adhesion properties help paint adhere to most interior surfaces leading to better results. Use on wood, drywall, plaster, paneling, wallpaper, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Not recommended for mold or mildew-prone surfaces or on flooring.
Available in Quarts, Gallons & FivesWhere To Buy
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
- The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ ORIGINAL Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces that have cured (dried) at least 90 days. If masonry has cured less than 90 days, use KILZ® PREMIUM, KILZ 2® or KILZ ORIGINAL LOW ODOR® Primers.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
- Eye protection is recommended. Do not thin. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Use product when painting surface and air temperatures are between 35°F (2°C) and 90°F (32°C).
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .015-.019 tip / 60 mesh filter
- Prime entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: Up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft. (28-37 m2) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
Dry Time at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
Dry Time @ 77°F (25°C) / 50% RH: Touch in 30 minutes.
Paint in 1 hour.
Clean up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with mineral spirits or acetone. Immediately after use, dispose of soiled rags and waste in a closed, water-filled container.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to you, the original residential consumer purchaser, the performance of this product as described on this label for so long as you reside in your home. If this product is found to be defective upon inspection by its representative, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. This warranty is not transferable. This warranty excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. To the extent permitted by applicable law, any implied warranties including the implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose, are limited to the duration of this express warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Note to residents of the State of New Jersey: The provisions of this warranty, including its limitations, are intended to apply to the fullest extent permitted by the laws of the State of New Jersey. For warranty service, call: 1-866-774-6371, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES.
VAPOR HARMFUL: May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache, or nausea. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation.
USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION: Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator use. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.
NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.
VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE: Vapors can flow along surfaces to a distant ignition source and flash back. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Do not smoke. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. Prevent build-up of vapors by opening all windows and doors to achieve cross-ventilation. To avoid spontaneous combustion, soak soiled rags and waste immediately after use in a closed, water filled metal container. See clean-up and disposal for more information.
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately.
If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately.
In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.
For skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
KEEP FROM FREEZING. If frozen, let thaw at room temperature.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
Coverage - Low
300 sq. ft.
Coverage - High
400 sq. ft.
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
80 - 90 KU
Dry To Touch
Dry To Recoat
Nylon / Poly
Roller - Smooth Surface
3/8" - 1/2" nap
Roller - Porous Surface
1/2" - 3/4" nap
.015" - .019"
2,500 - 3,000
42.7% (+/-) 2%
63.9% (+/-) 2%