KILZ® ORIGINAL Aerosol
KILZ® ORIGINAL Primer is a powerful stainblocking formula that blocks most heavy interior stains including water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, grease, and also seals pet, food and smoke odors. This convenient aerosol is ideal for small paint projects and spot priming interior surfaces including wood, drywall, plaster, paneling, wallpaper, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Not recommended for mold or mildew-prone surfaces or flooring.
Available in AerosolWhere To Buy
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
- The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint, mold, mildew, and/or wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.*
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Eye protection is recommended.
- For best results, use at room temperature. Cover adjacent areas to protect from overspray.
- Shake can vigorously for 1 minute after mixing ball begins to rattle and often during use. Hold can upright, moving from side-to-side while spraying lightly and evenly about 12" from area being painted. 2-3 thin coats produce best results.
- Topcoat with latex or oil-based paint after 60 minutes. NOTE: On some surfaces, spot priming may cause a non-uniform appearance in the final coat. To avoid this, prime the entire surface.
Dry Time at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
- To Recoat / Topcoat: 1 Hour
- Longer dry time may be required in cooler temperatures and in higher humidity.
Clean up & Disposal
- Clear spray valve immediately after use by turning can upside down and spraying until only clear gas is released. If spray nozzle becomes clogged, remove and clean.
- Do not stick pins or wire into can opening.
- Clean fresh overspray with mineral spirits or paint thinner. Remove dried paint with paint remover, but test small area first to ensure paint remover does not damage substrate.
- Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
For one year from the date of purchase, Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to the original residential consumer purchaser (1) that the product meets Masterchem Industries LLC’s manufacturing specifications, and (2) the performance of this product when applied according to the label instructions and specifications. In the event that this product proves to be defective within one year from the date of purchase, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. This warranty is not transferable. This warranty excludes (1) labor and costs of labor for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. To the extent permitted by applicable law, any implied warranties including the implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for a particular purpose, are limited to the duration of this express warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Note to residents of the State of New Jersey: The provisions of this warranty, including its limitations, are intended to apply to the fullest extent permitted by the laws of the State of New Jersey. For warranty service, call: 1-866-774-6371, or email: email@example.com. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
VENTILATION REQUIRED: To avoid inhalation and combustion hazards (see below), DO NOT use this product unless you can achieve cross-ventilation by opening windows and doors during application and drying.
CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. VAPOR HARMFUL: May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Do not breathe vapors or spray mist. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air, wear respiratory protection (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) or leave the area.
NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.
VAPORS MAY IGNITE EXPLOSIVELY. Do not spray near sparks, heat or open flame. Do not smoke. Vapors are heavier than air, and can travel at floor level to distant ignition sources. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights and turn off stoves, heaters, electric motors, high intensity lights and other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone.
CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE: Do not puncture, incinerate (burn) or store above 120°F (40°C). Exposure to heat or prolonged exposure to sun may cause bursting. Do not discard in home trash compactor.
This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately.
- In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.
- For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
KEEP FROM FREEZING
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY
20 - 25 sq. ft.
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
Dry To Touch
15 - 30 min
Dry To Recoat
Max VOC (by weight)
Max Product Weighted MIR
18.0% (+/-) 2%
40.0% (+/-) 2%