KILZ® 3 PREMIUM
Interior | Exterior Primer
New Look, Same Trusted Formula! KILZ® 3 PREMIUM primer is a superior quality, fast drying, low odour, very low VOC, water-based primer-sealer-stainblocker. It has excellent adhesion and provides a mildew resistant coating making it ideal for use in moisture-prone areas. KILZ PREMIUM primer blocks most medium to heavy stains caused by water, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and grease. Its thicker high hiding formula hides surface imperfections and prepares the surface better for painting. Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Works with oil and water-based paints. Not recommended for floors.
Available in 946 mL, 3.79 L & 18.9 L sizesWhere To Buy
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface. Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.*
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ® 3 PREMIUM Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ 3 PREMIUM Primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primer recommendations: KILZ® RESTORATION™ for water-based (interior); KILZ® ORIGINAL or KILZ® ORIGINAL INTERIOR/EXTERIOR for oil-based.
*WARNING! If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. Contact the National Lead Information Centre at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
- Eye protection is recommended. For spray applications, a small amount of water (no more than 15 ml per 3.79 L) may be added. Do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 10°-32°C. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 10-13 mm nap on smooth surfaces or 13-19 mm nap on semi-rough
or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .017 - .021 tip / 60 mesh filter
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: KILZ PREMIUM Primer may be tinted with up to 60 mL of universal colourant per 3.79 L. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 28-37 m² (300-400 sq. ft.) per 3.79 L depending on application method and surface porosity.
- Dry Time @ 25°C / 50% RH: Touch in 30 minutes. Paint in 1 hour.
CLEAN-UP & DISPOSAL
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current governmental regulations.
MAY IRRITATE EYES AND SKIN. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not breathe fumes. Keep out of reach of children. Wear eye protection and protective clothing. Use only adequate ventilation.
FIRST AID TREATMENT
Contains: TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE AND STYRENE ACRYLIC POLYMER. If swallowed, call a Poison Control Centre or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting. If in eyes, rinse with water for 15-20 minutes. If on skin, rinse well with water. If inhaled, move person to fresh air.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to you, the original residential consumer purchaser, the performance of this product as described on this label
for so long as you reside in your home. THIS WARRANTY IS NOT VALID WHEN THE PRODUCT IS NOT PROPERLY APPLIED TO A PROPERLY PREPARED SURFACE OR CARED FOR IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LABEL DIRECTIONS. This warranty is not transferable. If this product is found not to perform as specified on the label during the warranty period, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. The clause of limitation of liability which follows is inapplicable in Québec. This warranty excludes (1) labour and costs of labour for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. The above provisions are not intended to operate where prohibited by law. This limited warranty is the only warranty provided by Masterchem Industries LLC unless extended by a provincial consumer statute. To obtain warranty service, write to: Technical Services, Masterchem Industries LLC, 2750 Centre Avenue N.E., Calgary, AB T2A2L3, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
For warranty service, call : 1-866-977-3711, or email: email@example.com. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
Coverage - Low
28 m2 (300 sq. ft.)
37 m2 (400 sq. ft.)
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
95 - 105 KU
Dry To Touch
Dry To Recoat
60 mL per 3.79 L / 15 mL per 946 mL / 300 mL per 18.93 L
<5 g/L The addition of colourants may add VOCs.
Nylon / Polyester Blend
Roller - Smooth
10-13 mm nap
Roller - Porous
13-19 mm nap
.017 - .021 tip
2,500 - 3,000