New Look, Same Trusted Formula! KILZ® ORIGINAL primer is a powerful stainblocking formula that blocks most heavy interior stains including water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, grease, and also seals pet, food and smoke odours. Trusted by pros for over 40 years, it has excellent sealing and adhesion properties to help paint adhere to most interior surfaces leading to better results. Use on wood, drywall, plaster, panelling, wallpaper, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Not recommended for mold or mildew-prone surfaces or on flooring.
Available in 946 mL, 3.79 L & 18.9 L sizesWhere To Buy
Please check availability before visiting your local retailer
- Ratings & Reviews
- Preparation, Application & Clean-Up
- Warranty / Warnings
- Product Specifications
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ® ORIGINAL Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces that have cured (dried) at least 90 days. If masonry has cured less than 90 days, use KILZ® 3 PREMIUM, KILZ 2® ALL-PURPOSE or KILZ® ORIGINAL LOW ODOUR™ Primers.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
*WARNING! If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. Contact the National Lead Information Centre at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
Eye protection is recommended. Do not thin. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
Use product when painting surface and air temperatures are between 2° C and 32° C.
Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
Roller – High quality 10-13 mm nap on smooth surfaces or 13-19 mm nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
Airless spray – .015-.019 tip / 60 mesh filter
Prime entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
Tinting: Up to 60 mL of universal colourant per 3.79 L. Tinting to a lighter shade than topcoat is recommended.
Coverage: 28-37 m² (300-400 sq. ft.) per 3.79 L depending on application method and surface porosity.
Dry Time @ 25°C / 50% RH: Touch 90 minutes. Recoat 2 hours.
Clean up & Disposal
Clean equipment and paint spatters with mineral spirits or acetone. Immediately after use, dispose of soiled rags and waste in a closed, water-filled container.
Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product.
If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current governmental regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
Masterchem Industries LLC warrants to you, the original residential consumer purchaser, the performance of this product as described on this label for so long as you reside in your home. THIS WARRANTY IS NOT VALID WHEN THE PRODUCT IS NOT PROPERLY APPLIED TO A PROPERLY PREPARED SURFACE OR CARED FOR IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LABEL DIRECTIONS. This warranty is not transferable. If this product is found not to perform as specified on the label during the warranty period, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option and upon presentation of proof-of-purchase (the original receipt), either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the original purchase price of this product to you. The clause of limitation of liability which follows is inapplicable in Québec. This warranty excludes (1) labour and costs of labour for the application or removal of any product, and (2) any incidental or consequential damages, whether based on breach of express or implied warranty, negligence, strict liability or any other legal theory. The above provisions are not intended to operate where prohibited by law. This limited warranty is the only warranty provided by Masterchem Industries LLC unless extended by a provincial consumer statute. To obtain warranty service, write to: Technical Services, Masterchem Industries LLC, 2750 Centre Avenue N.E., Calgary, AB T2A2L3, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
For warranty service, call: 1-866-977-3711,or email: email@example.com. Masterchem Industries LLC reserves the right to inspect any and all application of the product prior to processing your claim made under this warranty.
CONTENTS MAY CATCH FIRE. CAUSES BURNS. CONTENTS HARMFUL. Do not smoke. Do not get on skin or clothing. Do not breathe fumes. Do not swallow. Keep away from heat, high intensity lights, flames, such as pilot lights and any object that sparks, such as an electric motor. Vapours are heavier than air and can travel at floor level to distant ignition sources. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not use this product unless you can prevent build-up of vapours by opening all windows and doors to achieve cross ventilation. Materials such as rags used with this product may begin to burn by themselves. After use, put rags in water or lay flat to dry, then discard. Wear respirator, rubber gloves and protective clothing. Keep out of reach of children.
FIRST AID TREATMENT
Contains Aliphatic Hydrocarbons (Stoddard Type). If swallowed, call a Poison Control Centre or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting. If in eyes, rinse with water for 20 minutes. If on skin, rinse well with water. If inhaled, move person to fresh air.
HEALTHY INDOOR PAINTING PRACTICES
HOW TO REDUCE YOUR EXPOSURE
This Information Refers Only to Interior Alkyd (or Oil-based) Paint Containing 2-Butanone oxime (MEKO); MEKO is not found in any of the widespread latex or waterborne products.
- Always read, understand and carefully follow all ventilation requirements indicated on labels;
- Take measures to maximize the amount of fresh air where you paint; you should not rely on home heating or cooling systems to provide fresh air. Try to schedule painting so that you can open windows and doors to the outside;
- It is recommended that you create cross-ventilation when painting by opening windows and doors that are across from each other and/or using a fan to blow air outdoors (if there is no warning on the paint label instructing against the use of electric motor fans). Kitchen and/or bathroom fans that are vented outside can also help;
- Take fresh air breaks while painting and keep young children, pregnant women and people with breathing problems away from freshly painted rooms. Leave painted areas if you experience eye watering, headaches, dizziness or breathing problems;
- Cover your paint can during use and quickly dispose of rags and accessories after you have finished with your project. Unused or leftover alkyd paint can be disposed of through the paint recycling program in your province;
- Remember to continue using proper ventilation for two to three days after you finish painting;
- MEKO and other chemicals may still be present in low VOC (volatile organic compound) alkyd paint so remember to always create well-ventilated conditions;
- It is a misconception that infrequent use of alkyd paint poses no health risk. Proper precautions and ventilation are required every time the product is used.
PROTECTING CONSUMER HEALTH:
CODE OF PRACTICE FOR 2-BUTANONE OXIME (MEKO)
Coverage - Low
28 m² (300 sq. ft.)
Coverage - High
37 m² (400 sq. ft.)
Finish @ 85°
Min Application Temp
Max Application Temp
85 - 95 KU
Dry To Touch
Dry To Recoat
60 mL per 3.79L / 15 mL per 946 ml / 300 mL per 18.93 L
344 g/L The addition of colourants may add VOCs.
Nylon / Polyester Blend
Roller - Smooth
10-13 mm nap
Roller - Porous
13-19 mm nap
.015 - .019 tip
2,500 - 3,200