KILZ Clean Start® Primer
KILZ CLEAN START® is a zero VOC, low odor primer, sealer and stainblocker.
Gallons L2110 - MSDS
KILZ Clean Start - TDS
|Coverage - Low
||300 sq. ft.
|Coverage - High
||400 sq. ft.
|Finish @ 85o
|Min Application Temp
|Max Application Temp
|Dry To Touch
|Dry To Recoat
||Nylon / Poly
|Roller - Smooth
||3/8" - 1/2" nap
|Roller - Porous
||1/2" - 3/4" nap
||.015" - .021"
||2,500 - 3,200
||36.0% (+/-) 2%
||50.9% (+/-) 2%
||95 - 105 KU
| WHERE TO USE
KILZ CLEAN START® is a zero VOC, low odor primer-sealer-stainblocker. This fast drying, water-based formula can be topcoated with latex or oil-based paint. KILZ CLEAN START seals, primes and blocks most light stains including water, rust, grease, ink, pencil and felt marker. Use on most interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces.† KILZ CLEAN START is not recommended on flooring.
- Wash off any dirt, grease or smoke damage with a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and then allow to dry.
- Remove all mildew with a commercially available mildew remover, rinse well and then allow to dry. Note: KILZ PREMIUM and KILZ 2 are recommended for mildew-prone surfaces.
- Unpainted, exterior wood exposed to sun and/or moisture longer than 2-4 weeks must be cleaned and sanded before priming.
- For maximum adhesion, scrape off loose paint and scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming. On glossy surfaces: scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.
- KILZ CLEAN START may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ CLEAN START.
- It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primary Recommendation: KILZ ORIGINAL or KILZ ODORLESS.
- Eye protection is recommended.
- A small amount of water may be added for spray applications, but do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting is not recommended for stainblocking applications. KILZ CLEAN START may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon for non-stainblocking projects. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage is up to 300 square feet per gallon on porous surfaces; up to 400 square feet per gallon on smooth, nonporous surfaces.
DRY TIME at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes.
- Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with a latex or oil-based paint.
- Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or in poorly ventilated areas will affect dry time.
CLEAN UP & DISPOSAL
- Clean equipment an paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
- To recycle or properly dispose of paint or primer in your community, call 1-800-CLEANUP.
If this product is found to be defective upon inspection by its representative, Masterchem Industries LLC will, at its option, either furnish an equivalent amount of new product or refund the purchase price to the original consumer purchaser of this product upon proof of purchase. Masterchem Industries will not be liable for any representations or warranties made by any retail seller or applicator of this product.
This warranty excludes (1) labor or cost of labor for the removal of this product or any other product, the repair or replacement of substrates to which this product is applied or the application of replacement product and (2) any incidental or consequential damages.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. To make a warranty claim, write to Technical Service, Masterchem Industries LLC, 3135 Old Highway M, Imperial, MO 63052-2834, or e-mail Technical Service at
Back To Top
†DANGER! If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
FIRST AID: If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention; for skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
KEEP FROM FREEZING. If frozen, let thaw at room temperature.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
Back To Top